Saturday, November 12, 2016

Shirt Dress Upcycle, Revamp, Recycle
I went to my local thrift store and picked up a cute denim skirt and a cute plaid shirt dress size 8
slightly bigger than what my daughter wears but she hates to wear anything too tight unless they are her leggings. I found a great a great deal on the skirt it was half off ended up paying $2 and same for the dress $3. My daughter is not a fan of denim skirts yet. Comfort is the name of her game along with anything that has to do with animals. Here are the original pieces





I started deconstructing the skirt. I cut off what I wanted to use and left enough of an edge to turn
back to clean finish the edge on the denim. Cut the pocket bag out leave the pocket bag facing on the pocket
to give it a nice clean finish on that seam.



Before placing and pinning the denim pieces. Find a book or a piece of cardboard in-between
the two layers of the dress so you don't pin the back and front together.
Then move to placing the panels on the dress wherever you like. I wanted to use the pocket opening on the denim pieces on the dress so they will be functional. I like that the dress has a plaid it made it
really easy to place pocket ant the same height and I started the denim tipsiest on the side seam.
I pinned the pieces in place.

I also wanted denim detail in the back of the dress so I cut our the pockets from the back of the skirt. I pinned them into place.

Time to head to the sewing machine. Remember to use a thicker needle for sewing denim.
I used navy thread in top and in the bobbin. You also need to watch out for the hardware so you needle does not break and go flying.

Make sure on the back pockets you straight stitch on both sides of the rivets/hardware
so if she uses the pockets it is alit stronger. If you are concerned about the self body material being too thin place 1x1" facing on the backside to reinforce your stitches.
Here is the finished product. It is a bigger size than what my daughter wears...this way it will last a couple years and she loves the comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment